The dog handler reminded about the dangers of lilies of the valley for dogs

Dog owners should be especially vigilant during lily of the valley season, as these plants are poisonous to dogs and can cause serious harm to the pet. This was announced on Sunday, May 29, by the President of the Russian Cynological Federation (RKF) Vladimir Golubev.

“The best way to admire these flowers is from afar. Keep a close eye on the dog in the thicket of the forest so that it does not accidentally eat these flowers in nature, ”said the dog handler in an interview with RIA Novosti.

He urged dog owners to carefully study the plants, as well as to educate the dog so that it does not accidentally get poisoned by the eaten flower. Golubev also recalled that the lily of the valley is a poisonous flower that can harm not only a pet, but also a person.

The dog handler explained that a dog can experience vomiting, severe diarrhea, severe arrhythmias, loss of balance and even convulsions if it eats lily of the valley berries.

He also emphasized that the lily of the valley contains a cardiac glycoside, if you eat a lot of berries of this plant, then an increased dose of this substance can be fatal.

According to him, not only the berries of this plant are poisonous, but also all its parts, as well as the water in which the flowers stood. Golubev warned that if the pet drinks it, then he may begin vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and even cardiac arrest are possible.

Golubev urged to be attentive to cut peonies, callas, irises, daffodils, snowdrops, lupins, tulips, lilies, gypsophila, chrysanthemums, delphiniums, digitalis, hyacinths and lilacs, as these flowers can also harm the pet.

If the dog ate a poisonous plant or the owner noticed that the dog has rapid breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, depression and sleepiness, then he needs to urgently take the pet to the veterinarian, he added.

The dog handler recommended in this case to wash the skin, hair and mucous membranes with plenty of water. If the animal has eaten the plant, it is necessary to induce vomiting. The dog handler explained that for this it is necessary to give the dog a 1.5% solution of hydrogen peroxide or a 3% solution diluted by half with water. The amount of solution depends on the weight of the pet.

One teaspoon is enough for a small dog, two or three spoons for a medium dog, and one teaspoon for every five kilograms of weight for a large dog. After this, you should give plenty of fluids and absorbent, and then immediately contact the veterinary clinic.

Earlier, on May 8, Golubev said that it is necessary to monitor the well-being and diet of the pet, and also not to neglect outdoor training in order to prolong the life of the dog and make it rich and healthy.

He recalled that food from the master’s table can shorten the life of an animal, since certain foods that a person eats without harm to their health are contraindicated for dogs. These are, in particular, bones, chocolate and bakery products.

If the dog’s behavior suddenly changes, it should be taken to the veterinarian. It is also important to carry out the treatment from parasites in a timely manner and to put the necessary vaccinations, the dog handler specified.

On April 29, cynologist Vladimir Golubev reminded Izvestia about the rules for communicating with dogs that children should be taught. The specialist emphasized that children should learn the rules of communication with a dog in the same way as the rules of the road, because this can save their health, and sometimes life.

Earlier, on April 21, the President of the Russian Cynological Federation told what mistakes should not be made when raising puppies. First of all, the specialist noted that any action when interacting with a puppy needs to be analyzed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.