On April 26, 2022, Germany confirmed that it will provide Flakpanzer Gepard self-propelled anti-aircraft systems to Ukraine. This is a significant increase in defense, in particular, from attack aircraft.
What is Flakpanzer Gepard
– self-propelled anti-aircraft vehicle is designed to protect armored units from air attacks.
Details and benefits
– based on a modified chassis of the main German Leopard tank;
– hits air targets flying at speeds up to 350-400 m/s at slant ranges from 0.1 to 6 km and at altitudes up to 3 km;
– has two radar antennas – a general search radar in the rear of the tower and a tracking radar;
– two 76-mm smoke grenade launchers for camouflage;
– the tower is capable of turning in a full circle, equipped with two 35-mm Oerlikon GDF cannons;
– the engine and transmission of the system can be replaced in 20 minutes. in the field.
– height – 3.29 m;
– length – 7.68 m;
– width – 3.71 m;
– weight – 47.5 tons.
Engine MTU MB 838 CA M500 Diesel.
Speed - 65 km / h.
Power – 610 kW.
Rate of fire: 550 rounds per minute (each of two guns), continuous firing time before running out of ammunition 37 seconds;
Ammunition – 680 shells:
– 2×320 for air targets,
– 2×20 armor-piercing for ground targets;
Crew – 3 people (driver, gunner and commander).
How much will be delivered to Ukraine
– about 50 cars.
Where the system is in service
in Brazil, Romania, Jordan.
Who used the system before
– Belgium, Chile, the Netherlands.
Why were withdrawn by Germany from use in 2010
– they were replaced by newer Wiesel 2 Ozelot combat vehicles.
Text: Alla Roenko
2) “New time”
3) DNIPRO TODAY