Dates – food for long -livers. All due to a fairly rich composition-there are a lot of useful substances and vitamins in dates. The only negative is the high sugar content (93 g per glass). Therefore, it is important to remember that people with diabetes, obesity about dates should be forgotten, reports today.
Well, those who fight with a craving for sweets on the path to harmony, too. Let’s figure out in more detail with these sweet fruits along with nutritionist Alena Gavrilyuk.
Before talking about the benefits and dangers of dates, it is necessary to name what is present in them. Namely:
- B vitamins, PP;
- iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus.
And thanks to these vitamins and microelements of the date:
- reduce cholesterol;
- take care of the heart;
- normalize the work of the intestine;
- strengthen the bones;
- normalize pressure;
- improve the condition of the skin and hair;
- useful for pregnant women.
The optimal daily rate of dates for adults is no more than 10 pieces. There are preferably in the morning. And, of course, not daily. Recall that the dates have a high glycemic index and a high carbohydrate content. Be sure to drink the dates with water during consumption. Otherwise, your teeth will receive a powerful blow of sugar, as well as to caries nearby.
So that dates are as useful as possible, they need to be correctly selected and stored:
It should not be cracking and too hard. If so, then the dates were dried at high temperatures, which destroyed all useful nutrients. The peel of a good dried fruit of medium stiffness, without cracks, elastic.
Dark. If the dates are light brown, then they were collected not ripened and necessarily fell in sugar syrup. You will not receive any benefit from them. The dark color of the fruit suggests that they ripe in natural conditions on the palm tree.
To give the goods attractiveness and glossy shine, sellers often lubricate the surface with oily solutions. What is not known in these solutions, and it is problematic to wash them off, since the fat film does not allow to rinse the fruits. Do not buy shiny dates, choose those with a matte peel.
It is desirable to store dates in a sealed (glass) container in a dark cool place.
Who should abandon dates
- People with individual intolerance. Do not know if you are allergic to the dates or not, you should consult a doctor to make a test.
- Also, dates are harmful to the teeth. Can cause caries. Dentists advise drinking them either with warm tea without sugar, or just warm water, if there is no way to brush your teeth.
- With particular caution, diabetics should be treated. The reason is a high sugar content. The average daily norm of the use of dates should be established by the attending physician.