Police use batons on Liverpool fans after Champions League final

Dozens of police officers clashed with football fans at the Place de la Nation in Paris, where an area was set up to watch the UEFA Champions League final. This became known at the end of the match on Saturday, May 28.

According to witnesses, law enforcement officers were located not far from the fan zone from the very beginning. They were armed with batons, shields, water cannons and other means to control and disperse the crowd. Many of these guns ended up being used on Liverpool fans.

One of the fans described the actions of the police as “unprovoked aggression.” In turn, some fans threw alcohol glasses and other objects at law enforcement officers.

At the moment, there is no exact information about what was the reason for the start of the riots.

Earlier, it was known from the talo that French law enforcement officers detained 46 people for participating in riots at the Stade de France stadium and in the fan zone area before and during the UEFA Champions League final.

At the same time, it was noted that about a hundred fans of both teams were injured as a result of the riots. Their injuries were minor, emergency services provided assistance on the spot.

Also, the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) promised that, together with the police and French authorities, they would urgently consider the situation with the riots around the Champions League final. According to official information, the entrances to the stadium were blocked by a crowd of fans, which was dispersed only after police intervention.

Due to brawls at the stadium, the match between Real Madrid and Liverpool at the Stade de France stadium near Paris had to be postponed by 37 minutes. According to media reports, some fans encountered security while trying to enter the stadium. People climbed over the fences, ignoring the attempts of the stewards to bring the situation under control. Ultimately, law enforcement officers were forced to use tear gas.

At the same time, the riots did not affect the course of the match. As a result, Real Madrid became the winner of the UEFA Champions League, beating the English Liverpool with a score of 1:0. The goal in the 59th minute was scored by the striker of the Spanish club Vinicius Junior. At the same time, the goal of Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema in the 43rd minute was not counted due to offside.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *